Monday, November 12, 2007

Community

So this weekend I went up to Arizona to see my partner. I go every few weeks, and everytime I do, it's always a culture shock. She's living in Mesa, Arizona this year, and let's just say it's a pretty conservative place. It's considered a good weekend when we don't get stares or a homophobic comment. That almost never happens. This weekend we got a passing "fag" comment. No matter how many times it happens, it's always infuriating, shocking, and hurtful. It's just been a while since we've been in a place where our sexuality was really questioned. We lived in Ann Arbor before, and had a great, really supportive community. Being a lesbian just wasn't an issue.

In attempts to find community in Arizona, we went to a lesbian bar with the other two semi-out lesbians at her school. While the bar was actually decent, going out with them was a-w-k-w-a-r-d- They didn't like to dance, made fun of everyone, didn't really talk, wanted to sit in a corner and sulk. Just not our scene.

I miss having a community where I belonged. Since moving to L.A., I feel like an alien, without a home. I think once you have a taste of what it feels like to find chosen family, it's really hard to go without it. I guess time will tell, it's only been a few months. I definately think being queer makes adapting to any new place rough. I also think every queer community is different, and maybe finding the perfect one for you hardly ever happens. I guess we'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kudos to you...it is extremely hard when one doesnt have a supportive community to surround yourself with.

ray said...

I think LA takes a bit longer than other spaces, and it def. doesn't happen on the Westside (in my experience).

Maybe this is due to population, or this myth that there is no "need" because you're supposedly surrounded by progressive urbanites. Maybe also because LA is really transient - people comin' and goin' for their own reasons.

I said similar things when I first moved down here - and I realized this is just a place where you have to work for it patiently.

Good luck - sounds like you know what you need!