Thursday, October 9, 2008

Queer Politics

Hey guys!

So what I want to talk about today isn't really related to film, but it is important because it does concern those of us who are queer/friends of queers. I was browsing through other queer blogs and the hot topic right now is Prop 8. Well, thats pretty much been the hot topic anywhere as of late, but with Nov. 4th coming up so soon, things are starting to get very tight and ugly. Apparently, the campaign for Yes on 8 is in the lead right now. A lot of the money being donated to the campaign is coming from out of state religious groups. And have you guys seen the ads for Yes on 8? They're pretty scary:





Also, via JMG, I found out that Californians Against Hate has compiled a list called the Dishonor Roll. This is a list of the top monetary supporters of Yes on 8. You can find the complete list here.

Frightening to see how much people are willing to put in to bar rights from us. This is why its important to vote this November. And tell your friends and family to register to vote and VOTE NO ON PROP 8. The deadline to register to vote is Oct. 20th, so there is still some time left, but not much. Oh, and there's going to be a No On Prop 8 rally at Myerhoff Park (that little grassy area in front of Kerckhoff) on Friday from 12-1. Go and see how else you guys can help with the cause.

See you guys at the Queer Conference and in class on Monday!

1 comment:

Ashe said...

We've been talking about these ads at my house for a week or so. I was so enraged the first time I saw one I was throwing things at my TV, but I've got to wonder, the more I think about it, if these absolutely hateful ads are actually proving just how necessary legal protection of rights is to the voters who are fence sitting.

All of the ads against the prop have been very classy, honestly. Mellow, non-confrontational, family-oriented and sentimental. As much as that is not a style I usually go for, I have to admit the value--especially when the opposing ads read like a psychotic, bigoted rant.

I can honestly see voters who don't care one way or another, voting against the prop sheerly not to be lumped into a group that has been so publicly biased.